Sunday, December 12, 2010

China, Day 11.2 - Wangfujing Snack Street

Saturday, October 30, 2010

A fellow blogger and friend mentioned that a place we couldn't miss was Wangfujing Snack Street. And she was right. I haven't seen anything like it ever in my life. Virtually anything you wouldn't believe they'd serve as food, they do.

Food Booths

Food Booths

One of my fellow companions, PP, was determined to try scorpion. And he did. And then our other adventurous eater, KS, also tried one. Both tried further amazing items that the rest of us (AB and I) wouldn't touch. If I don't know what it is, I won't touch it and 95% of what I could identify, I didn't really want to get anywhere near.

Oh Yes He Did

I was, however, content to watch and take pictures. I don't recommend looking at these pictures while eating and/or if you have a weak stomach. What I didn't include is the video of the scorpions alive, wiggling on their sticks - pre-cooking.

For your viewing pleasure:

Scorpions (you can't see them waving here):

These Were Alive and Wiggling

Bugs of unknown nature:

Bugs on a Stick

Seahorses:

Seahorses

Candied apples (relatively safe):

Candied Apples

Unknown seafood creatures:

Yes, those are centipedes or millipedes:

EWWW - Centipides on a Stick

LRK, don't look here - ewwww spiders? Really?

Horrifying.

OMG, no:

Various Skewered Creatures

Scorpions and Seahorses

Sea Urchins

Birds? Don't Look Mom

This looks safe, but probably isn't:

Ramens

We also visited a nearby silk mall…

Silk Silk Silk

Silk Silk Silk

and a tea shop (no pictures), and grabbed some green tea ice cream. And tried to hail a cab which was nearly impossible, even using their secret weapon (me, the token Asian). We encountered a Beijing mental health hospital, innumerable bikes and a Chinese Fire station.

Green Tea Ice Cream

We Think This Is a Mental Institution

That's a Lot of Tires

Chinese Firehouse

And we capped off our final meal at a place with little English on the menu and near to the hotel. We again had our secret weapon, LKL, who helped us pick just the right dishes. Including an amazing tofu one that was like soft tofu (but consistency of polenta) in what seemed to be a sweet and sour sauce.

Our Last Beijing Meal - Yum

Then it was one last meet-up for a drink and off to bed for me. I had the oh-dark-thirty flight which I complained about at the time, but in retrospect was the lucky one. Three of my companions who also left on Halloween got stuck with travel delays for about a half day or so... I was home in St Louis before they were taking off from Beijing.

I have a handful of photos from the airport and a summary post to follow and I'll finally be caught up... almost a month later.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

AHHHH! I can't believe they ate the scorpions! Love the green tea ice cream, though.

Anonymous said...

Scorpions are actually very tasty and in quantity can sustain you in the outback (desert)