Monday, August 2, 2010

Des Moines Sculpture Park

When I can, I enjoy visiting other cities' outdoor art. St. Louis has an amazing sculpture park called Laumeier and I visit it not often enough. On a rare evening off, a friend and I went up from Indianola to Des Moines and explored a few sites I had earmarked to revisit when I had the time.

Specifically, I wanted to see the Sculpture park, and at night. During the day time, it's a nice little collection of great art, but at night, they gain new life.

Example:

Moonrise by Ugo Rondinone

looks great by day, but spookier by night:

Moonrise by Ugo Rondinone

What I really wanted to see was this:

Nomade  by Jaume Plensa

Nomade  by Jaume Plensa

Nomade  by Jaume Plensa

Nomade  by Jaume Plensa

Amazing, eh? I thought so. Explore more in my Des Moines, IA set. :)

1 comment:

The Tweedles, who are HOT today said...

Very cool, Biscuit Girl!

But how about identifying the sculptures and crediting the artists. We really like your night/dusk photos of Jaume Plensa's Nomade in Pappajohn Sculpture Park. (But we had to look it up :)

Thanks! We hope to see Nomade in person someday.

Love,
The Tweedles

sent from our iPip