Saturday, August 24, 2013

Road Trip, Day 8: Seattle - Around Seattle

On the night of Day 7, we were only a 1/2 hour out of Seattle, proper, so we arrived early. We had plans to meet up with J & D for lunch and Chihuly Gardens, etc but we had time to kill while they drove up from Portland.

I had wanted to check out Gas Works Park - so we headed that way. Unfortunately, it was hosting some sort of Crossfit competition. Extremely fit people were doing extreme fitness things and getting cheered on by their family and friends. However, despite that, we did enjoy Gas Works park. Gas Works Park is the former site of the Seattle Gas Light Company.  It was the sole remaining coal gasification plant in the US. It operated from 1906 to 1956.

Despite the crowds, it was actually quite cool:

Seattle, Day 1 - Gas Works Park

Seattle, Day 1 -


Seattle, Day 1 -


We also certainly enjoyed watching the noisy seaplanes take off and land from the water:

Seattle, Day 1 -

Seattle, Day 1 -

We also enjoyed this colorful row of houses:

Seattle, Day 1 - Colorful Houses

And visited the Fremont Troll, who was constructed in 1990 under the Aurora Bridge.

Seattle, Day 1 - Fremont Troll

I'll also include the Seattle Center (where the Space Needle, Chihuly Gardens and a host of other amazing institutions are housed). I didn't know this until the following day, but the Seattle Center is a relic from Seattle's World's Fair in 1962. I knew the Space Needle was a relic but I didn't really put two and two together. I certainly didn't know that their Science Center was located there, nor their EMP/Science Fiction museum, and host to a bunch of theatres including Seattle Rep and Seattle Opera. If I lived in Seattle, I'd be over here all the time, except for the fact that there might be a million tourists at times...

Seattle, Day 1 -

Seattle, Day 1 -

Seattle, Day 1 -

Seattle, Day 1 -

Tomorrow, or later today, I'll go over my favorite Seattle attraction!

No comments: