Monday, December 10, 2012

#73 - COMPLETE

73. Enter a photography competition. Bonus points if a finalist or winner.




Well, I actually crossed this one off. I entered a local studio's annual competition for professionals and amateurs. It's called SEEN. It's the 6th iteration of this competition.  I kind of entered on a last minute whim, and only had the time and the funds to submit four photos. Photos are selected and judged by a blind jury - which is a good thing since it is a mix of people who take photos for a living and those who do it as a pure hobby, like me.


I'm still kind of in shock that one of them got picked. In addition to the honor of making it into the show, you could place first, second or third in your respective category and/or first, second or third overall.

Sadly, I didn't place but there were SO many amazing images that I was up against. I an purchasing the photobook of the show to inspire me for next year. To be in an exhibition with those artists, is truly an honor.

The piece that made it into the show is this one:

Yosemite National Park

I had it printed on metal at the suggestion of my mom and the woman at the lab, and I don't regret it one bit.

So here's to giving myself a goal of taking more SEEN-worthy photos for next year. A bonus point for making it into the show itself but next time I'd like to earn some for placing. Now that I have a little more confidence in my photography, I may try to enter more of them around town or otherwise.

No comments: