Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy List, Week 1

Macro Water Droplets

Back in 2009, I created this project called the Happy List. I'm not exactly sure where I got it from or if I created it all on my own. I decided in writing my list of 2014 goals that I'd like to resurrect it.

In this list, I would list 5-10 things (approximately) that made me happy in the past week.

So without further adieu, here's what made me happy in the last week:

1. Missouri Botanical Garden's Garden Glow. It might be pricey, but it sure is beautiful to see, and photograph. I really hope that this becomes a holiday tradition.

2. Cleaning out my parent's basement. Except for boxes of inherited crystal/china that won't move until I have a house, I took all the remaining items that have been in storage from my childhood/college years to my place. I've unpacked, repacked, sorted and filed them. Sometimes, it's just a matter of having the time, the will and the way.

3. Time off. Work can keep me pretty busy and though sometimes I go a little crazy with all the free time, I surely enjoy the ability to create a list, accomplish it and still stay in my pajamas all day. I'm making major inroads on many lists these days.

4. Photo Flood St. Louis. I have been able to do so much this past year because of them. Going forward will only bring bigger and better things! This goes for the tangible (like events) to the intangible (skills, feedback, aligning of my photographic eye).

5. Digital Photography School. For giving me so much good reading material and helping me up my skills.

6. Bingo Blitz. A poor substitute for real Bingo, but almost as fun. I must find fellow bingo cohorts here in St. Louis. Anyone?

7. This blog. I can't believe it will be 6 years in February. My how it has evolved. These days, I'm not sure if I'd pick "Biscuits With Honey" as a blog title/address, and sometimes I wish I hadn't. But here it is and here it stays. And look how far it has come. :)

8. Visits with Tommy. Tommy is making a pretty rapid decline these days, so I take every time that I can and just enjoy being with him.

9. The inter webs. If there's one thing I detest doing photographically, it's carrying my tripod around. I much prefer to shoot without and/or with a monopod. I like the freedom, flexibility and frankly, the challenge. However, I wanted to shoot fireworks on a photoshoot recently, and realized that I would HAVE to have the tripod for that. Not wanting to spend $50 on a tripod sling or bag, I googled on a DIY. In less than 5 minutes, and no $ later, I have a jury-rigged tripod sling of my very own.

10. Sugar cookies. I've made this recipe every holiday season for as long as I can remember. I made this season's batch yesterday (NYE). Yum! Totally counter-productive to eating healthier in 2014, but so worth it! My favorite topping are the rainbow nonpareils.

That's 10! It won't be 10 every week, sometimes it is really hard to find the positive if it is a stressful week. Here's to 51 more weeks! I'll be posting every Wednesday because that's how the week falls. And it always refers to the week prior. So Happy List, Week 2 will be all about the positive I've found in the first week of 2014!

Come join me on this journey!

No comments: