Friday, January 3, 2014

Self Goals for 2014

Garden Glow at MoBot

Last year, I decided to publish a list of self-goals, not resolutions. Some were specific and some were much more general. I didn't want to 'punish' myself if I didn't cross things off. You read how well I did on the list in 2013 here. In writing the list for 2014, I found myself wanting to keep some of the same things on the list.

-I want to find the positive in things better than I do now. Sometimes it is still hard to see the forest for the trees, or whatever the saying is - seeing past the bad and seeing the good, or at least the big picture. I do believe I will resurrect the Happy List. I haven't done it since 2008/2009 and as I re-read some of the entries, I really enjoy the look back.

-I want to try to learn how to let go of things that are out of my control. I'm a fixer by nature and sometimes I drive myself nuts trying to fix what can't be or isn't my problem.

-I really want to stretch and learn more about photography. How to use my camera better, how to do new techniques - expand my horizons.

-I want to learn how to be more unplugged. Put my devices down and spend more time away from the computer. I can't give up any of them cold turkey, but I'd like to find a better balance.

-I want to work on my personal life - friendships, relationships, long-distance and local. 

-I want to find a better balance with work and home. 

-I want to read more books - I've gotten out of the habit (shame on me!)

-I want to learn how to manage my money better - hence the making of a budget and sticking to it. I'm not doing too bad of a job now but I can definitely do better. 

-I want to travel more - which may upend all the well-intentioned budgeting.  

-I want to find new-to-me-places in St. Louis.

-I want to eat healthier - or at minimum, get better and realistic about portion sizes.

-I want to learn how to find a balance between exercise and long/weird hours at work. There must be one but I haven't found it yet.

-I want to accomplish as many of these items as possible but not beat up myself if I don't do them all or don't succeed at them.

Do you have any suggestions? Hopefully I will do better on some of these that I wasn't as good at during 2013.

No comments: