Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Looking back at the Self Goals for 2013


Garden Glow at MoBot

Back on January 1, 2013, I published on this blog here, my goals (not resolutions) for 2013.

Here's how I did:

-I want to find the positive in things better than I do now. Sometimes it is still hard to see the forest for the trees, or whatever the saying is - seeing past the bad and seeing the good, or at least the big picture. If I have to resurrect the Happy List, I will. 

Working on this one was hard, and I'm not sure I can call it a success. But I'm trying ...  trying hard. Some days I have more success than others.

-I want to try to learn how to let go of things that are out of my control. I'm a fixer by nature and sometimes I drive myself nuts trying to fix what can't be or isn't my problem.

I'm learning to laugh and let go... eventually. I'll still get in a snit or whatever, but I've learned to laugh or care less. I certainly haven't solved it but I'm making inroads for sure. 

-I really want to stretch and learn more about photography. How to use my camera better, how to do new techniques - expand my horizons.

I feel like I have done this. I've bought tons of eBooks (though haven't read most of them all the way through yet). I'm learning to shoot off of "P" and onto Av (Aperture Priority) and Tv (Shutter Priority) or even M (Manual) more. I still have a long way to go. But I'm eager to learn. Plus, I've joined up with a great photography group with people approximately my own age who are eager to learn and eager to teach and aren't snooty.

-I want to learn how to be more unplugged. Put my devices down and spend more time away from the computer. I can't give up any of them cold turkey, but I'd like to find a better balance.

Still working on this... but I'm learning to be better. :) 

-I want to work on my personal life - friendships, relationships, long-distance and local. 

I have realized that I'd lost touch with some friends - got too caught up in the daily life and didn't see the big picture. I've resolved to try for regular calls with some of my friends or else, time will go screaming by.

-I want to find a better balance with work and home. 

Better but far from perfect. 

-I want to read more books - I've gotten out of the habit (shame on me!)

See above. And see the thing about eBooks. I'm really great reading them on planes. Maybe it's time for me to unplug and just read offline.

-I want to learn how to manage my money better - hence the making of a budget and sticking to it. I'm not doing too bad of a job now but I can definitely do better. 

I was doing better and then I bought something BIG for my parents. And I'm due up for some big ticket items.... I feel like I'm never going to win this one. But I'm not in massive amounts of debt and that's really what counts. I'd be happier with no debt at all...

-I want to travel more - which may upend all the well-intentioned budgeting.  

I think I need to table some bigger trips but I'm certainly game for crossing off more states and national parks!

-I want to find new-to-me-places in St. Louis.

Done - partially because of getting lost on purpose and partially because of Photo Flood St Louis!

-I want to try to do the Couch to 5K thing again. And stick to it. [notice that I did not make an ultimatum on this one - it is hard for me to find time that many weeks in a row] 

DONE DONE DONE! Completed that and then three weeks later, did the Color Run. Kinda dropped the ball afterwards but would definitely do it again.

-I want to eat healthier - or at minimum, get better and realistic about portion sizes.

I might be obsessed with kale chips. But I still kind of eat like a college student. This must change. I don't have a subscription to Cooking Light for nothing...

-I want to accomplish as many of these items as possible but not beat up myself if I don't do them all or don't succeed at them. 

I did okay, but I can ALWAYS do better. Otherwise, what would I have to strive for?

No comments: