Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Unexpected Surprises

Today was an unexpected day off. Making up for tons of rehearsal earlier, right? I decided to go out and visit some places that I keep meaning to visit but hadn't yet.

Like Discovery Green, a new park in downtown. I'd noticed it while USITT folk were here but hadn't made the connection between a new park and the location. I'd missed the "official" opening weekend but wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It's a nice park, and it was well-used considering it was the middle of the week.

Discovery Green Park


Then, I stopped by a park that's off the Bayou on Allen Parkway. Since I wasn't feeling especially adventurous, the stop was brief.

Next stop was the Wortham Fountain along Allen Parkway (at Waugh). I'd always driven by that fountain and wanted to stop and take pictures, but couldn't for one reason or another.

So today, I did. At first, the fountain stopped when I pulled over to park. I was immediately amused and bummed - but quickly learned that it ran on random cycles. Makes perfect sense. I also discovered that this particular stop is a mecca for dog owners. I met this pup:

Friendly Puppy


How cute is he? Before his current owner had him, he apparently was slightly neglected. He never went on walks, and he's rather shy of a lot of things: traffic, etc. Apparently, walks still freak him out. His owner said that when he spotted me, that was the first time he wagged his tail since the beginning of the walk. While his owner and I chatted about dogs and Houston, he decided to get friendly with me and sat down in my lap. It was really adorable. That was before him taking a dip in the fountain pool. After bonding with him, I asked to take his picture. He posed beautifully, don't you think?

Here are a few photos of the fountain, as usual, you can see more at my flickr account.

Wortham Fountain


Tips


Dry Fountain


I love random happenings and discoveries. A lovely day considering a very late night last night and only about four hour's sleep (not by choice, and not on purpose). Capped off with a nice dinner (Blue Fish House) and dessert (Chocolate Bar) with a good friend.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

cute dog!

Ann said...

Isn't he adorable? He was such a sweetheart!