Saturday, April 19, 2008

Pictures from Work

Not exactly what you're expecting, I'm sure. Of course I can't take pictures of the show I'm working on because I'm busy, but a sitzprobe rehearsal is fairly light duty for stage management. A sitzprobe is the first musical rehearsal with the orchestra and the singers. Its a chance for them to hear each other and for the Maestro to fine tune many elements.

In between listening to specific points in the show where the piano reduction and the orchestration are different, I took some pictures of backstage.


Rail
The rail, which flies scenic elements in and out of view of the audience. In Billy Budd, there's not much for our flymen.

Rail
The operator's view of the rail.

Stage Manager Console
The center of the action: where the calling stage manager makes it all happen.

Keyboard
Where my career in opera began, sort of... with the piano that gave me the ability to read music which eventually lead me to this job.

Calling Score
The top part of my score... labeling every singer/chorus/kid entrance, exit, rail cue, stair cue, deck cue and turn cue.

Calling Score
The right hand side of my score labeling every DVD and CD track... both which were quite useful for this particular show.

Circa
Circa notebook. A stage manager's best friend. These unique rings allow you to rip out pages and put them back in whatever order you desire.

I'm done geeking out now. I hope you enjoyed this small peek into the backstage of a theatre. If you want to see more pictures, check out my flickr account.

P.S. I wasn't kidding about the whole Rainbow Brite thing.

No comments: