Thursday, April 3, 2014

Fort Worth - Downtown

Fort Worth's downtown proper is quite intimate by my standards. I can traverse it relatively quickly and the blocks are smaller than I was expecting. To me, it seems like a decent blend of older, historic buildings that were built with decorative enhancements and modern high-rises. Later on in the conference, I learned that a tornado had whipped through downtown 14 years ago and I really couldn't see any major signs of the damage.

One can say I "Flooded" downtown Fort Worth twice over the six day period while I sought fresh air and enjoyed my brief walks very much.

Downtown Ft. Worth

Downtown Ft. Worth

When I was scouting hotels, I discovered this building on Google Maps and wanted to find it immediately. It actually found me, sort of. I spotted it on the way back from dinner with a colleague.

Flatiron Building

Flatiron Building 

It was built in the early 1900s and has recently been renovated. I'm all for reviving historic vacant buildings!

Downtown Ft. Worth

Downtown Ft. Worth

Downtown Ft. Worth

Downtown Ft. Worth

Isn't the detail gorgeous?

Downtown Ft. Worth

Downtown Ft. Worth

I'm too tired and brain-full to do much in depth research on these buildings but at a quick glance, all the historical, older buildings seem to have thriving tenants in them.

I found some other buildings on the other side of downtown, but I'm saving those for Day 4.

Day 3 includes a very cool water garden that was right in-between the two buildings I spent most of my time in! Me + water = happy Ann. I don't necessarily have to be swimming in it to be happy.


No comments: