Tuesday, November 8, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude: Day 8

Today, I am thankful for St. Louis sports. We are a die-hard sports town and we stay behind our teams whether we are on top (go Cards!) or on the bottom (what the heck, Rams?)

It was a wild ride, to watch the Cardinals post-season. I really was able to bond with my colleagues at work over the Cardinals. There are some die-hard Cards fans there. And I watched us pull the win out of our rear on that amazing Game 6 - at Cicero's with some colleagues after a technical disaster at work.

Tonight, my parents and I went to a Blues game. Dad decided the Blackhawks vs Blues game was the one to go to - and boy did he pick it right - for so many reasons. Recently, there was a plane crash and almost an entire Russian hockey team died on that plane. Of those players, two of them were former Blues players, and tonight they were honored in a pre-game ceremony. Igor Korolev and Pavol Demitra.

Blues greats like Al MacInnis, Brett Hull, Kelly Chase, Geoff Courtnall, Keith Tkachuk, Tony Twist, Curtis Joseph.... I could go on - there were several more there, as well as Korolev's wife and daughters. It was a really nice, touching ceremony. Oddly enough, both of them had worn the #38 with the Blues.

And then, the current St. Louis Blues showed Chicago who's boss and swept them 3-0 in an awesome game - including one great fight between our player and theirs... and our player POUNDED him into the ice. Halak, our goalie, made 29 amazing saves and it was a really really great game. Did I mention that the Blackhawks have one of the best records in the Western Conference... and we have one of the worst?

I screamed myself hoarse.

So thank you, St. Louis, for having sports teams worth fighting for - even when they're down and out. Go Blues! Go Cards! Go Rams!


Red Rose

No comments: